Middle Tennessee’s Scales and Mites: Prevention and Management
There is an enormous amount of scales and mites species in Middle Tennessee, which makes it a bit too long to list them all. Instead, we want to focus on how to prevent and manage them to avoid an outbreak so your trees and shrubs can grow healthy and have your property looking beautiful.
Preventing Scales and Mites
* Keep it Clean *
Maintaining your yard clean and trimmed is the perfect way to not allow pests from inhabiting trees and shrubs.
* Inspection *
Take a walk around your property and do a detailed inspection of the trees and shrubs to determine if there is a pest problem. The “walk around” is a great way to identify if your plants are suffering from a disease caused by scales or mites.
* Target Areas Where Leaves and Water Build Up *
It is easy to leave depression areas around trees and shrubs unattended, allowing for leaves and water to collect in a pool. This common mistake gives room for larvae, pathogens, and bacteria to grow in, which in turn, is where scales and mites come to feed and reproduce. To prevent an infestation, make sure this build-up of leaves and water does not happen.
A powerful way to alleviate a scales and mite infestation in your landscaping is by using pesticides and chemicals that prevent their reproduction. SecureLawn is Middle Tennessee’s leading expert in preventing and removal of pest infestations.
- Dormant Oil (December – March): this application is designed to control various plant-destroying pests, including scales and mites. This time-sensitive treatment is applied in the early part of the season.
- Root Fertilization (Spring – March-May): helps plants recover from winter stress and helps maintain a more vigorous landscape throughout the growing season.
- Insect Control (Spring – March-May): designed to control plant-damaging insects. Treatments contribute to reducing stress and unsightly damage caused by pests (i.e., Mites, Japanese Beetles, etc.).
- Insect Control (Summer – June-August): this treatment reduces plant stress caused by seasonal insects such as bagworms, lace bugs, beetles, and aphids.
- Optional Treatment: Insecticide Drench, a procedure where roots are soaked with a powerful insecticide that does not damage the tree, but it kills scales, mites, and unwanted insects.
Bring in the Lawn Pest Control Experts
Some of the difficulties of caring for your lawns and yards is not having the time to do so. Prevention and pest management can help you maintain them in good standings, allowing you to enjoy your yard without any worries.
SecureLawn has the expertise and knowledge to address pest infestations of all kinds. We can easily schedule an appointment to inspect your property and determine the proper steps to take to care of it for you. Call today!